Click to Home
Resident Help Center

Go To Search
Homestead Information

As of April 2020, Hennepin County Assessors office will be process homestead application for Brooklyn Center applications.  More information can be found on Hennepin County's website.

If you are a new homeowner or qualifying relative of a homeowner, you can save property taxes by filing for the homestead classification. This classification provides a reduction in taxable value for owner(s) or relative(s) that occupy property as their primary residence.

To file for homestead classification all new homeowner(s) must apply with Hennepin County Assessors Office. The homeowner(s) will need the Social Security Numbers for all owners who occupy the property, a copy of the Certificate of Real Estate Value, and a copy of one of the following proofs of ownership:

• Warranty Deed
• Contract For Deed
• Quit Claim Deed
• Certificate of Title
• Trust Deed
• Personal Representative Deed
• Limited Deed

The Certificate of Real Estate Value and Deed should be located in your closing packet.

If sending the application in by mail, please attach the ownership deed and Certificate of Real Estate Value (CRV) to the application. Please verify that all fields are completed and mail to:

Hennepin County Assessors Office
A-2103 Government Center

300 South 6th Street

Minneapolis, MN 55487

If there has been a change in your legal name, marital status or a death of an owner, the homeowner will need to reapply for homestead to continue homestead status. This change will not correct your tax statement. In addition, you will need to notify Hennepin County Property Tax at (612) 348-3011 to correct the name or address on your tax statement.

Property owners who are blind or permanently disabled may qualify for an additional tax reduction called the special homestead classification. Please call (612) 348-3046 for more information, or see the special homestead classification instructions.